Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Hosea - GOD’S PURPOSE TOWARDS HIS PEOPLE

God sovereignly chose a group people who he would save out of the human race.

None of these loved him or deserved to receive his mercy.

He saves these people by Christ for his glory - not their glory.

God sent Christ to marry his elect (an undeserving rebellious whore who despised him).

Hosea 1:2 The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

These people did not desire Christ - they were “not my people”.

These people did not earn God’s Mercy - they “had not obtained mercy”.

God sovereignly chose (elected) these people - he declared they “art my people”.

These people were given faith in Christ - they all said God “art my God”.

God has mercy on the elect exclusively.

Hosea 2:23 And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.

Only those chosen by God and purchased by his son will turn to Christ and be saved.

Hosea 14:7 They that dwell under his shadow shall return; they shall revive as the corn, and grow as the vine: the scent thereof shall be as the wine of Lebanon.

By Ray Bennetts