Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Amos: Where Does One Seek Christ?

In Amos Chapter 5 Christ declares four times what man must do to avoid punishment for sin - and that is “Seek ye me, seek the Lord, and ye shall live.” Christ commits that all who trust in him for salvation will be saved. He says “All who come to me I will in no wise cast out”. He is the only way of salvation. But where should one seek him, where can one learn of him?

Amos 5:4-6 For thus saith the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live: But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to nought. Seek the LORD, and ye shall live; lest he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, and devour it, and there be none to quench it in Bethel.

WHERE should one seek Christ? Do not seek him in false man-made religion (“seek not Bethel”) there is no peace there. Bethel was the location of one of the golden calves placed by Jeroboam I. The calves symbolize false worship - represent man’s self-perceived power and wealth and beauty. False religion glorifies man and the works of man. False religion teaches than man can justify himself to God on the basis of his own meritorious works. Christ’s faithful Gospel preachers declare Christ’s doctrine clearly and simply and boldly for all to hear. They proclaim salvation by his Grace alone. True worship of God gives all the glory to Christ. Believers know, believe, and understand his free Grace. Those who desire to be saved seek him, seek the Lord; they look to him; they bow to his sovereignty; they call on his name, his perfect righteousness; they rely on him exclusively for salvation; they do not place any trust in themselves at all. They plead for his mercy they do not claim any self-worthiness. They accept his Free Sovereign Grace.

John 6:35-38 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

By Ray Bennetts